The chemical industry comprises the companies that produce industrial chemicals. Central to the modern world economy, it converts raw materials (oil, natural gas, air, water, metal, fibres, paints, pharmaceutical ingredients and minerals) into more than 70,000 different products.
We could not live our every day lives without he chemical industry; it produces machines, soaps, toiletries, cleaning products for homes, factories and hospitals, dyes and man made fibres for our clothes, and synthetics and resins for furniture and floor coverings.
There are over 6,000 employed in this sector in the Humber accounting for 1.9% of employment
Did You Know?
- The chemical industry employs approximately 6,000 in the Humber area and generates a combined turnover of £6 billion
- 100 big chemical and refining companies operate in the Humber ar
- These account for just over 10% of the UK chemical industry
- Around 80% of the Humber chemical industry’s manufactured products are exported.
- The Humber area has 2 major refineries providing up to a 5th of the UK’s petroleum requirement.
- The Humber has the UK’s 2nd largest chemical cluster with eight world-class chemicals and green energy businesses being housed on the banks of the Humber at Salt End Chemicals Park.
Will there be opportunities available?
The pharmaceutical industry is seeing competition from emerging economies for bulk manufacture. However, development and innovation still remain strong, so is likely to remain an important sector of the economy over the coming decades. Manufacturing will be dependent on the quality of research and development activity.
Employment trends for the Humber show that this is a declining sector for employment.
Useful Sector specific sites:
LMI Humber YouTube Sector Video available here
Download full PDF sector profile here