Creative and digital industries and about the creation and development of products and ideas. They include industries such as computer games design, animation, social media, film and TV, graphic design and advertising, music performing arts, libraries and visual arts.
The sector is large and complex covering 20 disciplines that broadly fit into three groups:
1. Performing Arts: dance / drama / music
2. Media: film and TV / visual art / radio / web and interactive media / computer games / animation / photography / print media / creative writing / advertising
3. Design: 2D and 3D visual art / graphic design / product design / fashion / textiles / craft
There are over 8,000 employed in this sector in the Humber accounting for 9.3% of employment
Did you know?
- There has been an increase of 57% new business start ups in the area in the digital sector over the past 5 years
- Hull provides the greatest amount of Creative Digital Industry employment across the Humber
- Jobs in this sector are not always advertised. Employers may use social media such as LinkedIn or Facebook
- Skills shortages are in multiplatform skills – the ability to produce content across all potential platforms, such as the web, mobile, ipad or TV and transfer skills from one sector to another
- Skills required in the future are IT and digital skills, creative design skills, and business skills for growth and expansion into new global markets
- The UK is the fourth largest producer of computer games in the world
- There are 40 computer games developers and publishers in Yorkshire and the Humber
- Over 40% of all workers in the industry start out working for free as competition is strong
- Voluntary work and building up a portfolio is important to give yourself the edge over others
Will there be opportunities available?
- The Humber has one of the fastest growing digital sectors outside of London
- Employment in this sector is predicated to grow by 2020 both locally and nationally
- The development of new technology means that this is a growing and constantly changing sector
- Employment trends for the Humber show that this is an increasing sector for employment
Useful sector specific sites
LMI Humber YouTube Sector Video available here
Download full PDF factsheet here