The food & agriculture sector involves the cultivation of animals, plants, and other life forms to enable us to manufacture food and drink. Think livestock – dairy cows, cattle for beef, sheep for wool and lamb, pigs and poultry. Think crops – wheat, oats, peas, oilseed rape and grass for your livestock.
There are over 14,000 employed in this sector in the Humber accounting for 4.1% of employment
Did you know?
- The Food & Agriculture Sector accounts for 4.1% of the region’s workforce, employing 14,400 people
- In the Humber region 2,645 businesses operate in the Food and Agriculture sector accounting for 10.2% of all businesses in the area.
- Jobs in the sector are requiring higher level skills. This is mainly due to increased use of technology
- Agriculture in Yorkshire & the Humber is a strong industry showing a rise in total income of 37% in recent years
- 96% of land-based businesses in the Humber employ fewer than 10 people
- For the Humber, the manufacturing and production of food and beverage products plays a large part in this sector; Yorkshire and the Humber is the country’s largest food producing region.
Will there be opportunities available?
- In the next ten years Lantra estimate that the agriculture sector will need a minimum of 194,000 more people nationally.
- Employment trends for the Humber show that this is a stagnant sector for employment
Useful sector specific sites
LMI Humber YouTube Sector Video available here
The following links give examples of some of the larger companies operating in the area:
- William Jackson Food Group
- JZ Flowers int Ltd
- Coletta & Tyson
- Young’s Ltd
- Greencore Group
- JSR Farms
- Premier Plant Producers
- TSC Foods
Download full PDF factsheet here