Public sector organisations provide a service for everyone: for example education (schools) and security and safety (police and armed forces). These services are paid for via taxation.
(Please note NHS and other health care services are covered with the Health & Social Care sector factsheet)
There are over 20,000 employed in this sector in the Humber accounting for 5.7% of employment
Did you know?
- The Public Sector accounts for 5.7% of the region’s workforce, employing 20,000 people
- Employment in the public sector, which encompasses public administration, defence and health, is higher in the Humber than the Yorkshire & Humber wider region, and England as a whole.
- There are a variety of different career opportunities within Local Authorities ranging from solicitors, accountants, marketing/media roles and IT to conservation
- Part of the recruitment process for the armed forces, police and fire services involves assessing physical fitness, literacy, numeracy and communication skills
- In Hull & East Riding the largest employers are East Riding of Yorkshire Council and Hull City Council
- Nearly all public service organisations offer apprenticeships
- There are over 50 different careers to choose from in the RAF, 220 in the army and well over 5,000 in naval services
- The fire service has changed radically in the last 10 years. Today, the job’s as much about promoting community safety as it is about putting out fires.
Will there be opportunities available?
- The government’s push to reform the public sector means jobs and industry within the sector are in an uncertain position. Predictions are that further job cuts will be made. However, opportunities will be available with the natural turnover of staff and an ageing workforce.
- A new prison to be built in East Yorkshire will create over 250 new public sector jobs in addition to the construction and manufacturing jobs required to build the facility.
- Employment trends for the Humber show that this is a declining sector for employment.
Useful Sector specific sites
For more information click to go to Directgov, Public Sector Careers
LMI Humber YouTube Sector Video available here
Download full PDF sector profile here