The Energy Sector relates to the production and supply of energy. Renewable energy is generally defined as energy that comes from resources which are naturally replenished on a human timescale such as sunlight, wind, rain, tides, and waves. Renewable energy replaces conventional fuels in four distinct areas, electricity generation, air and water heating/cooling, motor fuels, and rural (off-grid) energy services.
The Energy Sector is very closely linked with engineering, manufacturing and ports & logistic sectors.
There are over 17,000 employed in this sector in the Humber accounting for 5.1% of employment
Did you know?
- The Humber is leading the UK renewables sector with over £700million being invested through Siemens, Able, ABP and the development of Greenport Hull
- Our regions 20+ onshore wind farms provide power for 200,000 UK homes
- 3 of the world’s largest wind farms are on our doorstep and form some of the largest engineering projects in the world
- The Humber is No 1 in the UK for biofuel production
- The scale of our energy industry means demand is high for engineering support and top talent
- Building wind farms will constitute some of the largest construction projects in the world
- Turbines made in the Humber means a wider supply chain of manufacturers; repair and maintenance contractors will be located in the area which will lead to a cluster of renewable companies in the Humber
- The Humber region is home to innovative tidal and wave technology
Will there be opportunities available?
- Renewable energy is a relatively new and rapidly changing sector, generating considerable ongoing investment and development, and the current labour market is starting to reflect this.
- By 2020 Yorkshire and the Humber will have11,500 offshore wind jobs, 750 onshore wind jobs and 250 wave & tidal power jobs.
- The worlds biggest offshore wind farm will be built in the Humber Region creating 4,750 jobs.
- The renewable energy sector will be the single biggest influence on the local economy for generations, creating thousands of new jobs along with a wealth of opportunity for local people and businesses.
- Employment trends for the Humber show that this is an increasing sector for employment
Useful Sector specific sites
For more information click to go to Energy and Utility Skills then click careers tab
Green Port Hull is a useful local website for information on jobs and training in the sector.
The links below are to companies which are currently developing the Energy sector in the Humber Sub Region.
The following links give examples to the range of companies operating in the area:
The Crown Estate (land owner of the seabed) website provides further information on windfarm developments in the North Sea
A Careers portal has been created on the Green Port Hull website providing potential applicants with a clear view of vacancies.
Green Port Hull have also produced a “Job Roles in Offshore Wind” guide highlighting the range of jobs available within Offshore Wind and the supply chain.
LMI Humber YouTube Sector Video available here
Download full PDF sector profile here